Sea Vegetables, Seaweed Snacks and Seaweed Condiments.
Freshly harvested seaweed processing.
In 2001, Rosaria Piseri – an algologist of Italian origin – decided to follow her instincts, abandon her comfortable apartment in Milan and move to an island that owes its whole history to seaweed: Inis Mòr, in the Aran Islands.
Rosaria, with the support of several experts in medicine, homeopathy, agronomy and cosmetology, had carried out years of extensive research with various extracts of Irish seaweeds.
The company ethos has always been based on a passion for natural science. Algaran Teo’s primary aim is to preserve all the goodness contained in seaweed, and this is achieved by using mild temperature systems.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
- The company uses only 100% locally sourced Irish seaweed and 100% organic grown vegetables and fruit.
- To create 100% compostable packaging for their products.
- To achieve a 25% reduction in electricity usage by end of 2017.
- To have 25% of total electricity use come from renewable sources by end 2017.
- Increase their use of rain water by 70%.
- Produce only 100% organic certified products with proved health benefits and nutritional value.
- Organise conferences and cookery demonstrations to educate consumers on how to incorporate seaweed into their diet, and on the health benefits of seaweed.
- Offer their employees a free consultation with a diet specialist to help improve health and well-being.
- Collaborate with local schools to provide education about sea life.
Unique Selling Points
Algaran Teo is certified Organic by the Organic Trust, and regularly tests its seaweed for pollutants and heavy metals.
All its processes are based on cold systems, which preserves the nutrients. The prices are very competitive, and its staff are always on hand to inform customers about the benefits of seaweed.
Awards & Accreditations
Organic Certification 2017 (Organic Trust lic. 778)