Organic Malt, Pale Barley Malts, Wheat Malt, Craft Malt, SVS C1 Seed and Malt Combings for the feed industry.
Producing high-quality types of malt to meet the specific demands of its brewing and distilling customers.
First established in Athy in 1847 by the Minch family, Minch Malt Ltd is the largest producer of malt in Ireland.
Boortmalt purchased Minch Malt from Greencore in 2010. Originating in Belgium, Boortmalt is a wholly owned subsidiary of the agricultural and agribusiness cooperative, Axereal.
The intake of malting barley occurs during the months of August and September, which leads to a year-long activity centred on drying, storing and malting. This results in employment at managerial, staff and operative levels, in turn supporting up to 600 farm families.
Boortmalt has a state-of-the-art infrastructure, with over 50% of its assets built within the last 11 years. This contributes to maintaining high food safety standards and helps to minimise the environmental impact of the company’s business operations as part of its commitment to sustainability.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
- Development of the Minch Malt Farm Sustainable Farm Assessment Standard.
- Minch Malt Agronomy manual and malting barley production programmes.
- Department of Agriculture Knowledge Transfer discussion groups, devised for the production of quality spring malting barley.
- Soil mapping programme to create a definitive map for soils and protein levels at farm level.
- Revival of craft heritage spring barley seed varieties.
- Malt yield improvement, ratio of malt produced versus malting barley consumed.
- Water volume reduction: To reduce the m³ water/tonne of malt produced.
- Electricity consumption: To reduce the quantity of electricity (KwH) used to produce a tonne of malt.
- Gas consumption: To reduce the volume of gas (KwH) consumed to produce a tonne of malt.
- The Malting Barley Excellence Awards is a scheme in which Boortmalt annually recognises the efforts of its growers in implementing sustainability at farm level.
- Employee Assistance Programme: Boortmalt has engaged the services of Workplace Options to provide a professional confidential Employee Assistance Programme.
- Family Fun Day: This is an annual event which is held in Boortmalt Athy. This is a social gathering of all employees and their families. The day incorporates a charity fund raising event for the charity that the employees have chosen.
Unique Selling Points
Minch Malt provides a fully enclosed, traceable malting barley supply chain from field-to-glass.
It produces premium quality barley and wheat malt for global and microbrewers and distillers.
The company has a specific, tailored, sustainable farm assessment standard, which is fully accredited under the Sustainable Agriculture Initiative (SAI) Platform.
Awards & Accreditations
Minch Malt has been a recipient of the Irish Maintenance and Asset Management Society (MEETA) Awards and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) Awards.
Minch Malt’s accreditations include ISO 9001; ISO 14001; ISO 50001; BS OHSAS 18001; plus certification by Irish Organic Farmers & Growers Association (IOFGA) in organic barley and malt production, and accreditation by the Sustainable Agriculture Initiative.