Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Gooseberries, Strawberry Jam, Raspberry Jam, Blackberry Jam, Strawberry No Added Sugar Jam and Raspberry No Added Sugar Jam.
Cultivating fresh fruits, including strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and gooseberries.
A family-run business, Pat Clarke – trading as Clarke’s Fresh Fruit – has established a reputation for producing quality fresh fruit over the past 50 years.
Pat’s courage to invest during the ’80s enabled the development of innovative systems and cropping techniques.
In 1983, Clarke introduced the El Santa variety to Ireland. The first of those berries were sold in the Dublin Market on 25 July of that year.
With approximately 600 tonnes of fresh fruit produced annually, Clarke’s Fresh Fruits now employs in excess of 100 people, all using the most advanced technologies available.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
- Reduce punnet packaging by 15% over 5 years.
- Purchase non-perishable materials in bulk to reduce number of deliveries required.
- Introduction of a heat sealing machine in the company’s pack house has allowed them to reduce the amount of packaging being used.
- Source recyclable packaging from a certified supplier.
- Installation of a biomass heating system to heat 5 acres of fruit for early production. This system also produces hot water and heating for staff accommodation. It is fuelled by waste materials such as spent peat, broken wood pallets, cardboard and wood chip willow. This has extended the harvest season by an estimated 2 weeks without the use of fossil fuels.
- Installation of gutter systems and a water treatment plant to collect and purify run off water from the polythene tunnels, reducing the consumption of water and fertilisers.
- Clarke’s provides on-site accommodation for their staff which is maintained to the highest standard to ensure employee well being.
- Clarke’s engage with local charity Redwood Intellectual Disability Services to provide opportunities for residents to visit their site and pick strawberries. Donations are also given by Clarke’s to the organisation to help fund additional activities.
- Providing sponsorship and support to local groups such as the Parish Community Fund, schools and the GAA club.
Unique Selling Points
Clarke’s Fresh Fruit ensures that its fruit is picked and dispatched daily, which maintains the quality and freshness of its range.
Awards & Accreditations
Clarke’s Fresh Fruits has received a number of awards, including Family Farm of the Year Award, Family Farm of the Millennium Award, plus Overall Grower of the Year Award 2010.
Accreditations: Annual Bord Bia horticultural accreditation, Global G.A.P. certification.