Button Mushrooms, Hats Mushrooms, Portobello Mushrooms, Chestnut Mushrooms, Cup Mushrooms and Sliced Mushrooms.
The growing, packing and marketing of mushrooms.
The Codd Family has been growing the finest quality mushrooms from its farm in Tullow, Co. Carlow since 1989.
Starting from a small growing shed, the business has progressed to a modern, purpose-built mushroom and packing facility. Codd Mushrooms Ltd is the largest provider of mushrooms into the Irish market, supplying most of the major retailers and foodservice sector and currently employing 225 people.
Its growing facility is a Dutch panel construction with an automated watering system that is computer controlled. All product is vacuum cooled, giving it an additional two-day shelf life.
The company’s aim is to harvest in the morning and deliver to customers within 24 hours.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
- Work with suppliers to have Labels & films delivered in bulk (40% by 2017).
- Expand sustainable sourcing of raw materials (15% of suppliers with appropriate sustainable or environmental certifications by 2017).
- Electricity: Target improvement of 14.6% by 2017.
- Fuel: Reduce fuel consumption by 6% by 2017.
- Waste (Rejected Mushrooms): Reduce waste from rejected mushrooms by 22.2% by 2017.
- Waste (to landfill): Minimise waste to landfill by 6% by 2017.
- Double the level of support to the Leinster Latvian Community by 2017.
- Organise English classes for staff.
- Create a knowledge centre for information RE: entitlements and domestic violence support services.
Unique Selling Points
Codd Mushrooms Ltd controls all operations in the supply chain – the growing, packing and marketing of its mushrooms – allowing it to react quicker to customer needs and demands.
Its product is vacuum cooled, which adds an extra two-days to the shelf life.
Awards & Accreditations
The company has been a finalist at The Carlow Chamber of Commerce Business Awards 2016 and a finalist in the EY Entrepreneur of the Year Awards 2016 – Industry Section.
BRC AA Version 7, Bord Bia – Producer and Pre-packers Standard.