Progress Oatlets, Oat Bran, Pinhead Oatmeal, Jumbo Flakes, Organic Porridge Oats, Jumbo Organic Porridge Oats, Micro Quick Oats Drum, Quick Oats Sachets – Natural, Super Oats Drum, Organic Quick Oats Sachets, Quick Oats Multiseed Sachets, Quick Oats Sachets (Apple, Raisin & Cinnamon, Golden Syrup, Red Berry, Lemon Curd and Blueberry & Apple), Porridge Pots (Original, Strawberry and Organic), Quick Oats Pots (Multiseed, Apple & Raisin, Golden Syrup and Blueberry & Apple), Hi8 Muesli, Original Granola, Toasted Nut Granola, Oaty Flapjacks (Original, Choc Chip, Cranberry & Orange, Multiseed and Fruit & Nut) and Fruit Porridge (Apple & Raisin and Sunrise Fruits).
Producing oat-based food products from milled oats. It sells over 40 such products in 17 countries worldwide, with varying flavours and formats.
As one of Ireland’s oldest food companies, Flahavan’s can trace its first family connection to the mill in Co. Waterford back to 1785 when John Flahavans’ great, great, great-grandfather was managing the business. Seven generations on, Flahavan’s celebrates over 230 years of milling oats in Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford and today sells a range of over 40 oat products worldwide.
Flahavan’s has pioneered a dramatic change in the way consumers think about oat-based foods and its compelling health benefits. This is achieved by continually staying close to the consumer and identifying, understanding and responding to their emerging health and lifestyle needs, through new innovative products and formats.
Operating in a rural community nestled underneath the Comeragh Mountains, sustainable production is at the heart of Flahavan’s 230-year-old mill process. Over 60% of its mill energy comes from its own renewable sources, such as burning the outer shell of the oat to generate the steam used in the cooking process, as well as using the original millstream at the River Mahon which runs on wind power.
The highest quality, locally grown regular oats are sourced and selected from farmers within a 60 mile radius, which also reduces the carbon footprint involved in transport.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
- Ensuring suppliers of all oats are environmentally compliant members of IGAS and maintaining compliance.
- Increasing the volume of organic oats growers in Ireland by 25%.
- Reduce electricity purchases per tonne of product produced by 37%.
- Reduce emissions per tonne of product produced by 32%.
- Reduce overall level of waste produced by 22%.
- Reduce amount of waste going to landfill by 66%.
- Sponsor and support sporting events such as the Sean Kelly Cycling Tour of Waterford and Dublin City Marathon, to promote health and fitness in the community.
- Engage with the local community by sponsoring local events and festivals.
- Organise company wellbeing days to foster a healthy and positive work environment for employees.
Unique Selling Points
Flahavan’s has been milling the finest Irish oats, with a distinctively natural creamy taste in Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford for over seven generations. This makes it Ireland’s favourite oat brand, with over two million servings of Flahavan’s porridge consumed each week.
Flahavan’s champions a sustainable, family-run milling tradition. Smaller scale, sustainable production is at the heart of its 230-year-old mill process.
Awards & Accreditations
- Most Eco-Friendly Business – National FMGC Awards
- Food Producer of the Year and Agribusiness of the Year – Agribusiness Awards
- Organic Export Award – Bord Bia National Organic Awards 2016
- Food & Agri Business – Waterford Business Awards
- Munster Winner: Food & Drink – Ulster Bank Awards
- Irish Breakfast Foods Cereal – Georgina Campbell Irish Breakfast Awards
- Green Food & Beverage Award/The Sustainable Energy Achievement Award/Green Medium Size Organisation of the Year – Green Awards