White Cheddar, Knockanore Red Cheddar, Oakwood Smoked Cheddar, Red Cheddar with Garlic & Chive, White Cheddar with Garlic & Herbs and White Cheddar with Black Pepper & Chive.
Manufacturing unpasteurised cheddar cheese.
Eamonn and Patricia Lonergan began making cheese on the family farm in Ballyneety, Co. Waterford in 1987. The farm, situated in the Blackwater Valley, has some of the best grazing land in Ireland.
Lonergan’s father worked hard to cultivate a pedigree herd of Friesian cattle and this is still a key aspect of the farm. The land, coupled with the quality of herd, helps Knockanore to produce the best milk. In turn, this is produced into an accessible cheddar cheese, using a combination of traditional and modern cheesemaking and ageing techniques.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
- 80% of all packaging/pallets and packaging materials to be from recyclable material over a 5 year period.
- Reduce energy consumption levels by at least 5% over 5 years at 1% per year as KwH/T (electricity, gas, oil, kerosene and diesel).
- Improve segregation of general waste to increase recycling via bin waste volume to 2 bins per month of recycling over
- Increase community sponsorship funding to 10% over 5 years.
- Broaden support given to the community.
- Create a Health and Nutrition page on the Knockanore website, and update twice per year.
- Investigate whether Knockanore can gradually reduce salt levels in their products.
Unique Selling Points
Knockanore’s cheese is made from unpasteurised milk with a Friesian herd who graze on natural grass from the local area.
All of its cheese is free from additives, colours and artificial flavourings.
Awards & Accreditations
- BRC Grade AA
- First Prize – RDS Horse Show 1990
- First Prize – RDS Horse Show 1993
- Gold – British Cheese Awards 1996
- Highly Recommended – Irish Food Writers’ Guild 1998
- Bronze – British Cheese Awards 2005
- Bronze – International Cheese Awards 2006
- Gold – International Cheese Awards 2007
- Gold – World Cheese Awards 2009
- Gold – International Cheese Awards 2009
- Bronze – World Cheese Awards 2010
- Gold – Irish and World Cheese Awards 2011
- Bronze – Irish Cheese Awards 2012
- Bronze – Irish Cheese Awards 2013