Whole milk, low fat, light, skim, fortified milks and buttermilk Cream, Butter, Butter spread & Cheese
Milk, Cream and Dairy Products
Lee Strand Co-op, owned by farmer shareholders, was established in 1920 in Church St., Tralee, Co. Kerry. The Co-op relocated to Ballymullen, Tralee, in 1992 to a 10 acre site, in a newly built facility with state of the art plant and operating systems. Lee Strand Co-op purchased Dawn Dairies liquid milk business in June 2013.
The company processes 27 million litres of milk per year and employs 100 people across various business units:
- Lee Strand Co-op milk processing plant (65 employees)
- Browne’s Home Agri & Builder Providers
- Tralee Town Centre Apartments & Multi-story Carparks; Centrepoint – 10,200 sq metre commercial Building in Tralee
- Wind farm
Lee Strand Co-op distributes milk, cream and dairy products to Kerry, West Limerick and North Cork.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
Lee Strand Co-op will:
- Source all of its liquid milk supply from Farmers approved under the Bord Bia Sustainable Dairy Assurance Scheme by end of 2019.
- Establish a Farmers Knowledge Transfer Group Scheme by December 2016.
- Reduce the consumption of Electricity MWh per tonne of product by 4% from 0.0479 (2015 figure) by end of 2019.
- Reduce water use per tonne of product by 4% from 1.027 (2015 figure) by end of 2019.
- Reduce the volume of waste per tonne of product disposed to landfill by 4% from 0.00103 (2015 figure) by end of 2019.
- Maintain the Primary Schools initiative and will conduct at least 30 school visits per academic year.
- Provide an informative school diary to every participating primary school pupil in Co. Kerry.
- Award a scholarship to two farmers each year to enable them to study at third level and to obtain a formal qualification in an agriculture related discipline.
- Support the local community by donating 6 cent for each carton of milk sold. This funding to charitable, sporting and other causes assists these organisations in providing services to the community.
Unique Selling Points
Taste the Freshness – All of Lee Strand Co-op’s milk suppliers are located within 16 kilometres of the site thereby ensuring a continuous supply of fresh milk for processing.
Awards & Accreditations
- ISO14001 since 1998.
- EMAS (European Community Eco-management and Audit Scheme -EMAS Council Regulation (EC) 1221/2009) since 2000.
- National Pioneer Award for Ireland in 2015. This European award recognised Lee Strand Co-op’s “Outstanding commitment to Performance, Credibility and Transparency in Environmental Management”.
- Nominated by the Irish National Accreditation Board (INAB) to represent Ireland and was selected to attend the EMAS (Eco-Management & Audit Scheme) Awards in Germany in 2014. The awards recognise companies that have excelled in “Effective eco-innovations supporting improvements in environmental performance”.
- Energy Manager of the Year award 2008 – a prestigious award made by Sustainable Energy Ireland.
- IOFGA (Irish Organic Farmers and Growers Association) and the National Dairy Council “Farmed in the Republic of Ireland” accreditation since 2009.
- FSSC:22000 certification awarded in 2014 demonstrating the company’s commitment to food safety.