Kalak Single Malt Vodka
Production and distribution of Irish handcrafted spirits.
Origin Spirits Ireland Limited (OSIL) was registered in Ireland on 21 October 2013. The initiative was prompted by the identification of a potential market/consumer recruitment opportunity for a high-end, authentic Irish vodka.
Kalak Single Malt Vodka is the first Irish vodka crafted with natural Irish ingredients. Four times pot distilled in West Cork, the base ingredient is Irish malted barley, sourced primarily from Waterford, Wexford and Cork. Production and bottling has been outsourced to West Cork Distillers Ltd (WCD) in Skibbereen, Co. Cork.
In order to ensure desired product quality, OSIL worked with WCD and a team of international consultants, including the leading vodka expert in Europe – Dr Jim Swan, one of the leading international distillery consultants, Ian Wisniewski, a leading vodka expert in Europe, and former distiller at Midleton, Roy Court.
Kalak is best described as pure, smooth and intriguingly complex in flavour. It is milled, mashed, fermented, distilled, filtered and bottled on site under contract at WCD.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
- Reduce label and paper wastage by 33% by 2017.
- Replace aluminium and PET screw caps with wooden topped cork stoppers by 2017.
- Replace non-FSC certified neck labels with FSC certified paper stock by 2018.
- Ensure commitment from all packaging suppliers to sustainable development by 2018.
- To become a leading voice in the advocacy of responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages, and support relevant international, national and community initiatives in this regard.
- To partner with and support the Native Woodland Trust.
Unique Selling Points
Pure, smooth and intriguingly complex, it is Ireland’s only single malt vodka and therefore dubbed the whiskey drinker’s vodka.
Crafted from 100% Irish malted barley – and four times pot distilled in West Cork – it is the first vodka produced from natural Irish ingredients and distilled and bottled in Ireland.
Awards & Accreditations
- A score of 96 Points and ‘Ultimate Recommendation’ – Ultimate Spirits Challenge 2017
- Silver – San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2016
- Best Malted Vodka Varietal Vodka and Best New Launch Design – World Vodka Awards
- Gold – Irish Whiskey Awards