Elderflower & Elderberry Cordial
Elderflower growing and elderflower cordial production.
Richmount Cordial Company is run by David and Martina Burns, who produce award-winning elderflower cordial in Co. Longford. Planting an orchard in 2012 to ensure a constant supply of fresh elderflowers, the couple also took part in SuperValu’s Food Academy.
Trading since 2014, Richmount Cordial is now stocked almost nationwide in over 150 independent retail outlets, and the company plans to introduce many other cordials and drinks to its range.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
- Continue to source 100% Irish Elderflowers.
- Use only 100% FSC certified cardboard in packaging.
- Achieve a reduction the amount of packaging used, especially with B2B customers.
- Track energy and water use with a view to reducing same.
- Harvest rainwater for re-use in wash-down.
- Plant 1000 more elder trees, maintain hedgerows and provide pollinator hibernation stations to improve biodiversity.
- Richmount Cordial Company commit to not using concentrate, artificial ingredients or artificial sweeteners in their products.
- The company is committed to supporting the local Tidy Towns / Elderly association.
- Commit to visiting local schools to talk to students about entrepreneurship and Origin Green.
Unique Selling Points
Fresh elderflowers are hand-picked, infused and processed into cordial within hours – thereby maintaining the freshest floral taste.
Awards & Accreditations
- Bronze – Bank of Ireland Startup Awards 2014
- Joint Silver – LEO Longford Business Award 2016
- Irish Food Writers’ Guild Award 2015