Brown Crab, Crab Claws, Crab Meat, Cocktail Claws, Lobster, Monkfish Tails, Prawn, Ray Blonde Wings, Razor Clams, Scallop Meat, Scallop Half Shell, King, Shrimp, Spider Crab, Spider Crab Claws, Squid, Whelk Meat, Whelk Whole and Periwinkles.
The processing and exportation of shellfish.
Sofrimar was set up in 1979 by three French people with the aim of sourcing fish in Ireland for export to Franc, where a sister company was set up in the Rungis Fish Market.
Initially, the company concentrated on the export of white fish before diversifying into scallop processing and installing cooking facilities.
In 1991, Sofrimar started to process whelk for the Far East market and continues to sell this product to a number of markets.
At present, Sofrimar is primarily a shellfish processor and exporter, with a factory area in excess of 5,550sq.m. Facilities include fish intake, processing, cooking, chilling, freezing and cold storage.
With 99% of turnover from exported products, Sofrimar’s main markets include France, South Korea, Italy, Spain, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Portugal, Taiwan, Belgium, the Netherlands, the UK and Switzerland.
Key Sustainability Commitments
Raw Material Sourcing
- Reduce use of polystyrene boxes by switching to recyclable PVC boxes reduce paper usage by smarter use of IT systems.
- Reduce the usage of water, electricity and LPG per tonne of product by investing in energy saving equipment, targeted reductions in amount of waste to landfill.
- A range of supports are in place on an annual basis for local clubs, community organisations and charities such as supporting local sports clubs, sponsoring local events such as the Kilmore Quay Seafood Festival. In addition a number of events for staff are organised each year.
Unique Selling Points
Sofrimar has a 486sq.m. live shellfish storage facility where live lobsters and other live shellfish can be held for up to six months in conditions similar to their natural oceanic habitats.
The company sources most of its raw material from local boats in Kilmore Quay, a mere five minutes away from its processing facility, which currently employs 150 people from the surrounding area.
Awards & Accreditations
- BIM Seafood Enterprise of the Year 2016
- Green Seafood Business of the Year 2016
- Seafood Exporter of the Year 2011 / 2007
- Wexford Business and Enterprise of the Year 2012
- International Food Standard (IFS) application in progress