Founded in 2014, the Longways Cider Company is a family run apple cider producer based in Co. Tipperary. Cider is made from the fresh-pressed juice of a variety of different apples.
From careful soil management to plant husbandry, every step receives the attention and care needed to produce a quality cider. The apple orchard is home to sixteen hives of Irish honeybees that pollinate the trees and produce honey. The orchard attracts other Irish wildlife, the most notable of which is the Long-Eared Owl.
Through the Origin Green Programme, Longways Cider identified several targets to reduce energy, water, and waste along the three pillars of raw materials sourcing, manufacturing processes, and social sustainability as set out in the Manufacturing Sustainability Charter.
Raw Materials Sourcing
- Longways source the small amount of raw materials they use from suppliers with recognised sustainable certificates.
- Malic acid is used to adjust acidity at the blending stage. A target has been set to replace this raw material by growing a high acid apple variety which can be used to produce a cider with optimal acidity.
- Reduction of energy by replacing pumped liquid transfers with gravity flow transfers thereby eliminating the requirement for electricity.
- The current water source is a private well. A recirculation system is to be installed to reduce the amount of water used in cleaning processes.
- Reduce the amount of waste going to landfill through a carefully managed crop system.
- Introduction of lightweight bottles to reduce fuel usage during transport and distribution.
- Improving biodiversity by encouraging both pollinating and predatory species.
- Establishment of a wetland ecosystem treatment system for the processing of organic waste.
- Create a responsible drinking campaign and promote through advertising and social media.
- Develop an ongoing education system on the environmental and social impact of cider making. This will be built as part of a digital content strategy.
Molloy’s Bakery is a family run business now in their fourth generation priding themselves in the production of top quality bread and cakes.
Butlers Chocolates was established in Ireland in 1932. Eighty-five years on, the family-owned company is still crafting chocolate and confectionery in Dublin.